Product Features and Details
Model is in brand new condition
Road no. VT 761
Model: Extra mounted and free-standing steps and handrails; prepared for sound or with built-in sound; metal drive unit; multipart interior fittings; in-plane assembled windows; illuminated driver's cab; finest metal spoked wheels; drive in the locomotive to all four axles; with interior fittings; fine engravings; close-coupling; finely detailed bogies; true-to epoch lighting; original colour replication: roof silver, body red/beige, chassis black
In an effort to make in particular passenger transport on side lines more efficient, the young DRG carried out several tests with two and four-axle railcars in 1921. At a railway engineering conference in Seddin, the Waggonfabrik Wismar wagon factory had presented a four-axle benzene-mechanical railcar that seemed promising and was integrated into the DRG rolling stock under the number 851. Building on the experience gained with this vehicle, a further 18 fouraxle railcars with chassis were acquired between 1925 and 1929. WUMAG supplied one third of these test vehicles, designated 757 to 762. The wagon body was a riveted steel structure with bent ends according to the “Pike Car” model. Two radiator units on the roof gave the vehicle its distinctive look. Each chassis contained an engine system with a Büssing benzene engine. With six cylinders, it generated 90 hp at 1,000 rpm. According to the regulations for passenger trains, the railcars were painted green with a silvergrey roof. Railcars 761 and 762 had a shorter driver’s cab without a separate entrance. Following approval, they were deployed e.g. in Frankfurt/O., Breslau Hbf (main station), Allenstein, Trier, Templin and Oldenburg. In 1930, all six were brought together in Nuremberg Hbf depot. In the course of improvements to the drive and technical equipment, all the vehicles were fitted with a third radiator on the roof. In 1932, DRG introduced its famous red/ivory railcar colour scheme which was then extended to all VTs. They were deployed with trailer cars on the secondary railways around Nuremberg, with routes to e.g. Behringersmühle, Markterlbach and Eschenau. Unlike newer diesel railcars that were decommissioned or used for army purposes, the WUMAG railcars were converted to liquid gas between 1940 and 1943. All six survived the war and some went back into operation as early as the end of 1945.