Product Features and Details
Model: The REI0021 German Steam Locomotive Class 44 is a very attractive and powerful model. It offers a great level of detail and impressive running performance; REI did an exceptional job on the paint livery and printing. The BR44 is one of the most iconic German heavy freight locomotives and no European Model Train collection is complete without this impressive model.
- 5 Pole Can Motor with Flywheel
- Metal Chassis
- LED Directional lighting
- Factory Installed DCC Sound Decoder
- NEM 362 Coupler Pocket
Prototype: The German locomotive industry starting building the BR 44 locomotives in 1926, they were part of the (Einheitsdampflokomotive program) which meant standardize locomotive program. The first 10 examples of these engines had a somewhat higher steam consumption than the first ten units of the DRG Class 43 procured in parallel for comparison purposes, and which were equipped with two cylinders. Not until 1937 were further 44s procured, because by then the rising demands of rail transportation could be better met with a triple-cylinder configuration. The BR 44 reached a top speed of 80km/h and were capable of hauling goods trains of up to 1,200 tonnes (1,200 long tons; 1,300 short tons) on the routes throughout Germany's hilly regions (Mittelgebirge) and up to 600 tonnes (590 long tons; 660 short tons) on steep inclines. From 1926 to 1949, a total of 1,989 locomotives were manufactured. During the Second World War an austerity variant was built with simplified construction and delivery, known as the Class 44ÜK (one of the so-called Übergangskriegslokomotives). This primarily used home-produced materials; components were simplified, both in manufacturing methods and design, or left out completely. The most striking features of the ÜK locomotives were the omission of the smoke deflectors (that from 44 013 was standard) and also the forward side windows of the driver's cab.
After the war, Class 44 locomotives remained with the following railway administrations:
DB (from 09/1949): 1,242 units
DR (East Germany): 335 units
PKP: 67 units (classified as Ty4)
CSD: 3 units
ÖBB: 11 units
SNCF: 15 units (classified as Class 150 X)
The Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB) gave 9 engines back to the Deutsche Bundesbahn (DB) in 1952. The DB transferred at least 291 engines to the French railways SNCF as war reparations. These were predominantly locomotives that had been built in France. The SNCF sold 48 engines in 1955 to the Turkish State Railway (TCDD). Until their replacement by modern diesel and electric locomotives, the Class 44 engines were the backbone of heavy goods train duties in Germany. German railway men nicknamed the Class 44 locomotive the "Jumbo" because of its power. Only the rebuilt (Reko) locomotives of East Germany's Class 58.30, converted between 1958 and 1962, attained the performance of the Class 44s, at least on the plains. The BR44 was THE locomotives for heavy freights of the German railroads. The 45 class may have been heavier, but it suffered from serious problems. Hence, the 44’s remained the choice for heavy freights whenever a steam engine was used. The model depicts the locomotive with the large Wagner smoke deflectors, which were replaced by smaller ones in the 1950’s. With a small amount of modeler’s license, this loco can be used until 1955/56. At present there are still two working "44s" in the world. At the 'traditional locomotive shed' at Stassfurt (Traditionsbetriebswerk Staßfurt), stands number 44 1486, the only current representative of her class in Germany. In addition, number 44 1593 remains operational with the Veluwsche Stoomtrein Maatschappij (VSM) in Beekbergen, Netherlands.